- How do I analyze my Visual Basic 6 and VBA applications using VBDepend?
- What does the VBDepend report tell me about my code?
How do I analyze my Visual Basic 6 and VBA applications using VBDepend?
- Run VisualVBDepend.exe.
- Select the option: Create New Project
- Populate the data grid with your projects by using the browse button.
VBDepend analyze the specified applications kind:
- VB6 projects(.vbp,.vbg).
- VBA code of Microsoft Excel(.xls,.xlsm).
- VBA code of Microsoft Access(.mdb,.accdb).
- VBA code of Microsoft Word(.docm,.dot)
Click F5 to analyze your projects and code source by VBDepend.Console.exe.
This analysis will take a few seconds to a few minutes depending on the size of the projects.
- Once the analysis done, the result is displayed in the VisualVBDepend.exe UI.
What does the VBDepend report tell me about my code?
- Application Metric: This section gives you an idea of the topology of your application.
- Project Metric: This section gives you an idea of the size of each project within your application in terms of code line and others metrics.
- VisualVBDepend View: This section illustrates the size of your projects, packages, types and methods in terms of code line. You can browse this view dynamically by clicking the Launch Visual VBDepend on this Project icon in the VBDepend.Project UI.
- Project Abstracness vs. Instability: This section illustrate the Abstracness/Instability principle explained in the projects metrics section.
- Project Dependencies: This section shows all dependencies between project of your application in a table.
- Project Dependency Diagram: This section shows all dependencies between projects of your application in a diagram
- Project build order: This section gives you one of the possible build order for your projects. If a cycle exists in your projects dependencies graph, this section will report it.
- CQLinq Queries and Constraints: This section reports default CQLinq constraints which have been violated. More about the CQLinq language and CQL constraints here. You can build your own CQL constraints with VisualVBDepend.
- Type Metrics: This section recaps type metrics in a table. A link to the documentation is provided for each metric.